DAVIDGOUGHART

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Poetrait-The Ravenette


“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
― Edgar Allan Poe
At the last count, I think I had produced four or five portraits-or Poetraits as I call them-of literature’s Gothic master. My most well known I suppose is the one which graced Tourniquets album cover-‘Spoken Tales of a Tortured Genius.’
What is it that continues to fascinate and beguile me about the old absinthe soaked scribe?
Of course its the tales of mystery and macabre, and the Raven alone would secure his permanence way beyond the footnotes of cultural obsolescence, except he also wrote amongst a few classics, my personal favorite-The Tell Tale Heart. Perhaps syphilitic and out of his gourd when he died, it’s hard not to caste him as the archetypal alcoholic poet, sneering at the tragic barbs of life, and stumbling through muddy puddles in Maryland, but I daresay the reality is not as colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment