DAVIDGOUGHART

Monday, March 29, 2010

Head Candy-all aboard the Express from creative endorphin highs to artistic freefall


On Friday, we wandered over to Alex Salazars new gallery downtown. With more than a nod to Jenny Saville, the huge smeared portraits of adolescent boys, weathered faces and a bloodied newborn by Justin Bower may take the lions share of attention, but its the work of Renzo that held me captivated. In a city still without any culturally artistic center, its a welcome addition here and should do very well.

And a new solo show fell in my lap this morning, on the back of my showing at Thumbprint. I shall be exhibiting from April 24th to June 5th at the San Diego Art Institute, with opening reception May 14th. I have my work cut out for me, I have at least three new pieces I want to finish before drop off, and our trip back to the UK at the end of April will be such a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment