DAVIDGOUGHART

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Starcophagus





“I’m an instant star. Just add water and stir.”
David Bowie
And so it was-an interstellar supernova, a blackstar imprinting itself on the cultural ether, forever usurping brands for sneakers and ratings.
I carved my little momento mori star from wood, in the same manner he carved himself, like a totem reaching for the heavens, a trees pinnacle piercing the moon. Perhaps if you put it on a turntable, you could hear Starman crackling through the rings grooves. Perhaps not.
I imagine at the apex of some distant nebula, its only just coming through on a wave of phase anyway.
It’s 1972 forever somewhere, right?
And that’s a reproduction I made of Freddie Burretti’s Ziggy fabric in the well, the green circuit board design that Bowie had quilted to neuter the Clockwork Orange ultraviolence.
I filled the void as he did with his words- re purposing cut up lyrics from his immense catalog, so you can create an entirely new Bowie composition of your own.
By the end, I was as drained as if I’d gone up the hill backwards.
It’ll be on display for the Saint Bowie tribute show at Stephen Romero gallery in Brooklyn, from March 2nd at any rate. Follow the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment