DAVIDGOUGHART

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The blind patriot will eat himself



“The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth.”
― George Orwell, 1984

9″x 14″-ink on paper
I say this with full knowledge that I could pull a fistful from a grab bag of ominous portent since Inauguration day, but one of the most distressing things in the wake of Trumpocalypse is the continued willingness of his supporters to be completely blinkered by their cultish loyalty. Even in the face, it seems, in what are glaring, verifiable truths.
I’ve seen this on the other side also-and I get it, there’s comfort to be had in the consensus of delusion that no matter how much your party lies, it will never tell porkies as big as the opposition.
Except to say that within the space of a few days when both his strategist and press secretary have owned up to deploying a mind-boggling multiverse of ‘alternative truths’, even when challenged on the veracity of crowd size and voting fraud,  one need not pole jump to reach for the dark specter of Orwellian doublethink or 2+2=5.
Indeed, I read today that the book that was meant to be a parable of dystopian fiction, is currently a best seller. Old George would be stoked were it not the reason for the season.
I mean fuck me, dip into any page and you could pull out a passage that could be a manifesto to the times we live in. I found at least a dozen in the first few minutes of prefacing this page.
Which is why I knocked together this little drawing ‘The blind patriot will eat himself’, portraying as it does the self-cannibalism and mental gymnastics that the nationalist will go to in service of the body national.
My continued plunder through old Adam Curtis documentaries particularly feels like watching a play by play.
To which end, I recommend his series “The Living Dead” on Youtube. Watch it before the web goes dark.
I wish I felt like I was kidding.
We live in scary times indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment