DAVIDGOUGHART

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Baby Boomer


9″ x 12″-Oil on wood panel

So whats up with that cover then ?

It’s actually an update of the original cover painting I did back in ’94, which was taken from a sequence where our hero-Mortimer-references a dream he’s had where all the babies have been born with a congenital absence of eyelids. Its a really short passage, but at the time I think I felt it was symbolic of this internal life, a sensory inflection where the only point of reference is the womb.
 
I was probably also thinking of that razor meets eyeball scene in Buñuel’s Un Chien Andalou, but here its a surgeons scalpel about to shock the little tot into what amounts to a kind of rebirth.

At the time, Fantaco-the company that originally solicited the series-were so concerned by the image, the editor called me to ask if I could change it to something more “T & A” such were the times then. I wouldn’t, they cancelled the series, and the rest is 25 years of forgotten history.

It’s up and available in my store for purchase along with the 25th Anniversary edition.
BABY BLIND

No comments:

Post a Comment