DAVIDGOUGHART

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And Another Thing-Twatting


I absolutely believe that conversing through so called 'social network' sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Myspace, spells the downfall of literary discourse, to my mind, it is the proverbial (without verbage) inbred, retarded child in the basement, spouting inanity and mundanity, whilst masturbating before a window into the high street. It has no value for posterity, is the most puerile exercise in solipsism, and could for all 'intensive purposes' be the measured distemper of an orangutans toilet habit.
It is the preoccupation of narcissists attempting to elevate the mundane trickle of seconds to meaning, or those celebutantes who complain about photographic indiscretion whilst flashing more than a crotch shot across the digital highway.
Still, I am predisposed to the notions that perhaps Burroughs-were he alive-might have indulged it's streams of consciousness and draughted his next novel with its users asinine drivel, and that Eno once proposed that it was possible to have one brilliant thought a day.
If this all smacks of excuses, it probably is, which is to say that I am weak, and realise that an antique will end up collecting dust in a museum, and that my nose was never made to be detached in spite of my mush, so I have caved and am now the recipient of a 'twat', or a 'twit' or whatever...may I surpass the dirge it was made for. Still, in five years-really, who is going to 'remotely' care:

http://twitter.com/davidgoughart

1 comment:

  1. I would tell you that getting a twitter account is a waste of time, but i have learned that it would be incorrect to make that statement. It would be more accurate to tell you that it depends on how you use the tools before you, that will determine whether or not it is a waste of time. I have found that the use of mine was. But this is nothing you don't know dear friend.

    ReplyDelete