DAVIDGOUGHART

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Simpler times-new Frankenstein portrait by David Gough

11" x 14"
Oil on canvas

As an iconic image used to the point of obsolescence by everyone from Warhol to Ron English, I realise that it's not bringing anything new to the table.
Except the image had a profound effect on me the first time I saw it as a child in 1974. Those hooded eyelids, looked the same as the Jesus monographs I'd been force fed at church and school, but here was man as god making a monster of his own image. Not that I could have articulated that, it was just hugely exciting to my young imagination and I must have scrawled it on exercise books and blotters a hundred times.

So why repaint it now? Because with just a few days short of my forty fifth Birthday, and five years from my half century, I find myself inevitably thinking back to simpler times.

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to paint your work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much-this one took me around five hours, because I was copying from a photograph I know really well. Others like my largest piece-The Valley can take several months. It depends on drying time and how challenging the painting is.

    ReplyDelete