DAVIDGOUGHART

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Notes from an Easel-part 69


The scaled up 'Life after death' was losing something in the spontaneity of the original, so I erased it, and started fresh.
Using only the original
photos and drawings for reference, as opposed to the finished comp, it felt like a new work again, and my strokes were much more fluid.
I can see the benefits of comping a work first, but as a point of immediate reference I can't shake the feeling that I am trying to make a copy verbatim, stroke for stroke.

I wonder what other artists who work from preliminaries think? I'd be interested to hear their approach.


Not had much in the way of feedback for the mini documentary yet-I've posted it around all the usual places, but then as Brian Eno said-'talking about art is like dancing about architecture', so perhaps its not really that interesting, and neither am I. I've said it many times before, keeping a blog begs the same question-who gives a toss really, and why should they?
All the same, here I am , and since I've neglected to post the missives from my sketchbook, here are some random strangers caught between lattes at Starbucks or from a bumpy ride on the 41.




















No comments:

Post a Comment