DAVIDGOUGHART

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Notes from an easel part 71

I went with my original instinct, and decided to deviate from the dense green cloud of the original comp, by painting a simple cream impasto for the background.
The sense being that this represents a kind of rebirth, as well as making the image more prominent.
Its odd how much more contemporaneous the locale feels with this minimal approach. I generally resist such artistic candor, because as I've said in the past, melding both the figurative and the abstract, feels like fence sitting to me-like illustrative spatter as a sidecar embellishment for the sake of modernity, it has no resonance other than for trad cool, but on the evidence of this piece, its something I want to explore more of with future works.

Tonight is Mosaic again, where I have two pieces as part of the ongoing collection. Rich Walker and Sanford Wolcott are featured, alongside the usual suspects such as Mark Jesinoski. Hope to see a few familiar faces as well as some new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment