DAVIDGOUGHART

Friday, May 14, 2010

Head Candy- Bat Country

In between fighting the remnants of what I am now christening, 'my post English plague', I've had a rather nice commission to distract me, whilst I determine my next piece.
It comes by way of a project with the delicious Jasmine Becket Griffith, who deserves an entry all to herself. For the moment I can tell you that its a vampire themed painting, which is entirely apt in that I've felt like one of the undead this past week.

Other than a nostalgic penchant for 70's Hammer movies, and my love of 'Let the right one in' by John Ajvide Lindqvist the current cultural obsession for vampires leaves me somewhat cold.

My friend Mark was relating an article where he'd read that its an intermittent fascination that we have, that whenever we feel vulnerable as a species, our predisposition is to romanticize death. I like that notion, but not enough to find Twilight and its progenitors to be anything more than a teen soap opera with fangs.
As I always say however-armchair criticism is the easiest job in the world, so I'm putting my brush where my mouth is regardless,and enjoying the challenge of my own interpretation.

Painting on board as opposed to canvas is frustrating however-I'm still perplexed as to why anyone would prefer it as a
surface.Even primed, the oils disperse like they are on water-its akin to painting with gouache, and I regret not painting with acrylics.Still, the first stumbling's show promise.

Talking of shows promise...tonight, is the reception at the San Diego Art Institute, between 5pm and 7pm-not entirely sure what the turnout will be like, but I saw an ad on the union tribune site, so here's hoping its healthier than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment